Nathan, a member of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, never smoked cigarettes. For 11 years, he worked at a casino that allowed smoking. Secondhand smoke contains dangerous chemicals. The exposure to secondhand smoke caused him to develop allergies and serious infections that triggered asthma attacks, eventually causing permanent lung damage called bronchiectasis.

Nathan’s lung damage led to his death on October 17, 2013. He was 54.

Before his death, Nathan recorded a series of videos for the CDC’s Tips series, talking about his experiences.  In addition to his videos, Nathan’s CDC Tips page contains his biography and other resources.