U.S. Tobacco Control Laws Database©
The ANR Foundation contains the only national repository of state and local tobacco-related ordinances and regulations in the United States. Our U.S. Tobacco Control Laws Database© serves as a key resource for researchers and media outlets which use our data to document trends and research the effectiveness of tobacco-related legislation.
There are more than 15,000 laws in the current collection in more than 5,500 places. Throughout the year, ANR Foundation staff creates numerous lists, charts, and maps to illustrate the trend toward smokefree air. These lists represent only a small percentage of the data available in our Database, which also includes data on sales and distribution, youth access, excise taxes, conditional use permits, and advertising. Only laws that are personally reviewed and analyzed by ANR Foundation staff using standardized criteria and 100% smokefree definitions are included in ANR Foundation’s smokefree lists.
The Tobacco Control Laws data have been used in more than 540 peer-reviewed journal articles, studies, and/or reports, and in multiple NCI monographs and Surgeon Generals’ Reports. We are also the home of the only national database of smokefree and tobacco-free college campus policies.
Smokefree Lists and Maps
Our lists and maps cover laws in the areas of clean air, e-cigarettes, marijuana, and tobacco sales in pharmacies.
- U.S. 100% Smokefree Laws in Non-Hospitality Workplaces AND Restaurants AND Bars (Map & List)
- Municipalities with Local 100% Smokefree Laws (List)
- Overview List – Number of Smokefree and Other Tobacco-Related Laws
- Summary of 100% Smokefree State Laws and Population Protected by 100% U.S. Smokefree Laws (Chart & List)
- Local 100% Smokefree Laws in all Workplaces, Restaurants, and Bars: Effective by Year (Chart)
- Chronological Table of U.S. Population Protected by 100% Smokefree State or Local Laws (Chart)
- Percent of U.S. State Populations Covered by 100% Smokefree Air Laws (Chart & List)
- States, Commonwealths, and Municipalities with 100% Smokefree Laws in Workplaces, Restaurants, or Bars (List)
- Smoking Law Status in Major U.S. Travel Destinations (List)
- U.S. Smokefree Casinos and Gambling Facilities (List)
- U.S. 100% Smokefree Laws in Non-Hospitality Workplaces, Restaurants, Bars, AND Gambling Venues (Map)
- Statewide Laws Requiring 100% Smokefree Gambling Venues (Map)
- United States 100% Smokefree Air Laws (Map)
- Percent of Population Covered by 100% Smokefree Non-Hospitality Workplace, Restaurant, and Bar Laws (Map)
- Percent of Population Covered by 100% Smokefree Restaurant AND Bar Laws (Map)
- States With Any Type of Preemption of Smokefree Air Laws (Map)
- States and Municipalities With Laws Regulating Use of Electronic Cigarettes (List)
- Number of Laws* Enacted by Year that Prohibit the Use of Electronic Smoking Devices in Smokefree Environments (Chart)
- States & Municipalities with Laws Regulating Use of Electronic Cigarettes in 100% Smokefree Venues (Map)
- 100% Smokefree U.S. Hospital Campuses and Psychiatric Facilities (List)
- Smokefree and Tobacco-Free U.S. and Tribal Colleges and Universities (List)
- 100% Smokefree and Tobacco-Free Correctional Facilities (List)
- State and Local 100% Smokefree Hotel and Motel Guest Room Laws (Chart & List)
- 100% Smokefree U.S. Airports (List)
- Smoking Policies in the 35 Busiest U.S. Airports (List)
- Smoking Policies at Major League Baseball Stadiums (List)
- Smoking Policies at NFL Stadiums (List)
U.S. College Campus Tobacco Policies Database©
The U.S. College Campus Tobacco Policies Database© is a proprietary policy surveillance tool created by the ANR Foundation for the systematic collection and analysis of current policies governing smokefree and tobacco-free college campuses within the continental United States and territories, including adjacent American Indian and Alaska Native sovereign tribal entities. It was designed to be a comprehensive collection of policy data for the analysis of national trends, in order to evaluate the impact of policy provisions on health and/or tobacco use trends and help to strategically identify campuses without strong policies that might benefit from proactive outreach and technical assistance to become 100% smokefree and tobacco-free.
Today, the national database is a unique resource in the field of tobacco control, and unique in the field of public health generally, with 103 distinct fields analyzed for each campus policy. The data are also linked to electronic copies of more than 1,300 analyzed campus policy documents. Campus demographic data are included and searchable, including: community colleges vs. four-year (and beyond) institutions; public vs. private; HBCU; and other demographic data. The data is already in use by advocates, partners, and researchers. As the database continues to grow, it is expected that fields will be added to the database to track more specific information of interest in the field. Learn More
Support the Database
Your contribution to support the Tobacco Control Laws Database will help us to keep the lists and maps on this page available free of charge, scan and preserve original copies of laws, and maintain daily operations of the Database.