A recent study by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) investigated to see if smokefree worksite policies had a negative effect of smokers smoking more at home thereby exposing children to the harmful effects of secondhand smoke. NBER worked with the ANR Foundation for the 2012 and 2016 data used in the study.

Bottom line, this economic research study indicates that smokefree policies, which were designed to affect adults’ behavior, in fact improve children’s health for an even greater economic benefit.

Photo of Shankar VindatemWe were pleased to see NPR’s coverage from correspondent Shankar Vedantam, who reported that, “Only about 60% of the country has comprehensive smoking bans, a study like this is a good call for the remaining 40% of the country to enact bans.”

Read the NBER study:
Full paper

And: a recent study in Kentucky shows how communities with strong smokefree workplace laws have lower lung cancer rates than those with no smokefree laws.